Round 1: The Opponents – Burton Albion
One point per question is up for grabs in our first round – all about our history with The Brewers.
1. Which current Sunderland defender joined the club from Burton Albion in 2018?
2. Who opened the scoring for Sunderland when they played at the Pirelli Stadium last season?
3. What was the final score in that match?
4. Which former Sunderland winger, who made his debut for the club at Ipswich Town in 1995, had a spell on loan at Burton 12 years later?
5. Three goalkeepers have played for both Sunderland and Burton’s first team – can you name one of them?
Round 2: Top 10
Ten questions on Nyron Nosworthy, with a point for each correct answer.
1. Which country did Nyron Nosworthy represent at international level?
2. Which team did he leave to join Sunderland?
3. In what year did the move take place?
4. During a 2008 pre-season friendly played in the Algarve, Nosworthy scored against which side?
5. Nosworthy was named Sunderland’s Player of the Year at the end of which season?
6. His last appearance for Sunderland was in a 2-0 defeat at which side?
7. How many times did Nosworthy start a first team game for Sunderland: 103, 113 or 123?
8. Whilst at Sunderland he spent two loan spells at which Yorkshire club?
9. He also went on loan to another club, which he then joined permanently: who was it?
10. What was the official title of the Amy Winehouse song that was adapted into a chant about Nosworthy by Sunderland fans?
Round 3: 3-4-3
Things get tough in the final round, with the first three questions worth one point each, the next four earning you two points per question and the final three offering three points a time (20 points in total).
1. Who scored Sunderland’s opener in their 2-1 Carabao Cup win over Port Vale last week?
2. Lee Johnson recently appointed which former Sunderland player as his new goalkeeping coach?
3. What was the final score when Sunderland beat Leeds United in the 1973 FA Cup final?
4. Which Premier League club was Ollie Younger at prior to joining Sunderland?
5. Which defender moved to Sunderland in 1994 as part of the deal that saw Gary Owers join Bristol City?
6. Who are Sunderland due to play on Boxing Day this year?
7. Which Maxim Brewery brand has become available on draft at the Stadium of Light for the first time this season?
8. What was the current Roker End originally called when the Stadium of Light first opened?
9. Which club did Gary Ogilvie join when he left Sunderland in 1989?
10. Which side won 2-1 at Roker Park in Sunderland’s only home Anglo Scottish Cup tie of the 1979-80 season?
Round 1: The Opponents – …
1. Tom Flanagan
2. Grant Leadbitter
4. Sam Aiston
5. Jordan Pickford, Lee Camp and Jon McLaughlin
Round 2: Top Ten - …
4. Sporting Lisbon
8. Sheffield United
Round 3: 3-4-3
1. Josh Hawkes
2. David Preece
5. Martin Scott
6. Doncaster Rovers
7. Samson Smooth
8. Metro FM Stand
10. Oldham Athletic