What are we talking about?
- Reuben’s beginnings in Highbury, his move to Southampton as a schoolboy and his early experiences with one Lawrie McMenemy;
- His surprise debut at Old Trafford, his time on the books with the Saints, and his experiences of playing alongside some of the biggest names in football at the time;
- How did his move to Sunderland come about under former manager Len Ashurst, and does he know to this day exactly how much the move was worth?
- His surprise at the ocean view, the difficulty with managing to navigate the country back in the days of no GPS, and the drinking capabilities of his new teammates;
- The fall of the club through the divisions while he himself was sidelined, the shock arrival of his former boss and the problems that followed the “Mackemenemy”
- Stories from the welcome arrival of Denis Smith and the great rebirth of the club, accidentally offering his services to Brian Clough after a knock to the head and the much needed grit and no nonsense (football anyway) from players like Billy Whitehurst;
- His memories of the 1990 Playoff Semis against the mags, the importance of a squad that worked for each other and his dogged determination to get Sunderland back up the divisions no matter what;
- Smashing ribs and playing on, his thoughts on his style of play and how he slotted into as many roles as he was asked to perform in, his surprise call up to the Nigerian International Squad, trying to work out if Port Vale existed, the difference in hunger between the older generation and the younger, and his love of a good Sunderland pub or two;
All this and much, much more from a man who never shirked his responsibilities for us on or off the pitch, a cult hero for all the right reasons and an all round great lad who we quite simply... Adore. Listen in!
REUBEN! REUBEN! REUBEN!
How can I listen?
We’ve made it easy for all you lovely people.
Alternatively just type ‘Roker Rapport’ into your nearest search engine - easy.
Be sure to like, follow, subscribe and share. Thanks for listening, and enjoy.