What are we talking about?
- Coming up through the youth system in Ireland, and catching the attention of the legendary Pop Robson.
- Following his move to Wearside as an apprentice, Tommy tells some stories about his time in the youth team under coaches like Pop, Sbragia, and of course Reidy and Sacko.
- Quinny; As you’d expect, when the young lads needed support, the big man was on hand to help.
- The differences between the Charlie Hurley centre and the then brand new Academy of Light.
- Breaking into the first team under Reid; How did it feel to get that call. Especially as a sub for that 4-1 victory over Chelsea.
- The right bunch; Quinny, Bally, SKP, Makin and Buzzer to name a few... Just how good was that squad? And how did their work ethic rub off on the up and coming players?
- Getting the right players in, the importance of a good scouting network, listening to what the manager needs and wants, and Tommy’s opinion on the fleecing of Sunderland by certain agents for the last decade.
- Tommy tells us the story of why and how he left, and how he now uses his own experiences to help the young players he works with in sports management.
- Just how big a challenge is league one, as someone who’s been there and done it.
So many stories here, too many to summarise adequately. An engaging, entertaining (often explicit and pretty relevant) but overall fascinating interview. Listen in!
How do I listen/subscribe?
We’ve made it easy for all you lovely people.
Alternatively just type ‘Roker Rapport’ into your nearest search engine - easy.
Be sure to like, follow, subscribe and share. Thanks for listening, and enjoy!