Answers are at the bottom...good luck and let us know how you fare!
1. Which team did Sunderland defeat 1-0 in last season’s boxing day fixture at the Stadium of Light?
2. True or False - Sunderland’s first recorded attendance over 40,000 at the Stadium of Light in a competitive game occurred in the first boxing day first there in 1997 that saw Sunderland defeat Bradford City 2-0?
3. Complete this Sunderland starting XI from boxing day 1997 when Peter Reid’s Sunderland defeated Bradford City 2-0 at the Stadium of Light...
Gk - ?
RB - Darren Holloway
CB - ?
CB - Jody Craddock
LB - Michael Gray
RM - ?
CM - Alex Rae
CM - ?
LM - Allan Johnston
ST - Kevin Phillips
ST - ?
4. Who was Sunderland’s last ever opponents in a boxing day fixture at Roker Park?
5. What oddity occurred in scheduling the two fixtures over the Christmas period in 1993?
6. Sunderland won the boxing day fixture in 2000 4-1 at Bradford City, what position in the Premier League did that place Sunderland?
7. Which Sunderland manager was sacked after a 3-0 defeat at Oxford United on the 28th December 1991?
8. In what year was Sunderland’s last victory on boxing day in the Premier League?
9. What was the final score on boxing day 1999 as Sunderland traveled to Goodison Park to play Everton sitting in 3rd place in the Premier League?
Finally... Question 10...
10. What was strange about Sunderland’s opponents in our fixtures on the 27th December, 3rd Janaury and 7th January in the winter of the 1980-81 season?
1. Bradford City
3. Gk - Lionel Perez, CB - Darren Williams, RM - Nicky Summerbee, CM - Lee Clark, ST - Niall Quinn
4. Derby County
5. Two games were played on consecutive days - Sunderland played away to Bolton Wanderers on the 27th December and at home to Millwall on the 28th December.
6. C. 3rd
7. Denis Smith
8. B. 2013
9. Everton 5-0 Sunderland
10. All three fixtrues were against the same team - Birmingham City (27th December in Division One and then 3rd/7th January in the FA Cup after it went to a replay.