What are we talking about?
- Matt talks about his experience coming up through the youth system at Leicester, living under the threat of administration, and harsh lessons learned from playing for Mansfield in the lower leagues;
- Doing the right thing for your fans and your club; presented with a difficult choice at a young age, Matt talks about what really drove his sale to Peter Reid’s Sunderland;
- Great memories of his welcome to wearside from club legends like Phillips and Quinn, and the young players he spent most of his time with (and how Tore Andre Flo helped him with an important life decision off the pitch)
- Following Reidy’s departure, Matt talks about his turbulent relationship with former manager Howard Wilkinson... (Parental guidance - Explicit content)
- The differences between managers like Reid, Wilkinson, and Mick McCarthy among many others;
- The highs and lows of the game; Relegation and promotion, and the mentality needed to deal with both;
- The injuries that held him back; getting terrible news from one of the world’s leading specialists, and how important the support of the fanbase was during these difficult times;
- Matty talks about the early end of his career, and how it ultimately impacted his mental health, his lifestyle choices and coping mechanisms;
- The PFA and the issues surrounding young lads and lasses who suddenly find themselves without a career, and trying to transition away from the world of football into a relatively normal life;
- Answering your Twitter questions; Beating Luke Ball at table tennis, the young lads celebrating the downfall of Wilkinson, adjusting to his new career as a commentator, working within his academy, the spectre of double denim, and some advice for Duncan Watmore!
A great lad giving a thoroughly open, frank, honest (and often pretty explicit) interview! Wonderful stuff. Tune In!
How do I listen/subscribe?
We’ve made it easy for all you lovely people.
Alternatively just type ‘Roker Rapport’ into your nearest search engine - easy.
Be sure to like, follow, subscribe and share. Thanks for listening, and enjoy!