Last season this fixture would have had an entirely different complexion, with Chelsea riding high in the Premier League. What a difference a year makes – as the Black Cats head into this game in better form. Much like last week’s encounter with Stoke, Chelsea’s players have little left to play for this season and many of them will be planning their summer holidays. History suggests that Chelsea do pretty well at the Stadium of Light, winning five of their last six visits and scoring 16 goals in the process.
But Sunderland come into this game in marginally better shape, with seven points from the last six (lower than Chelsea’s eight point tally over the same period) but with fewer losses over the period.
Over the last ten Sunderland have lost two less than Chelsea and conceded six less goals, although they have scored six less. Overall the Black Cats are in better defensive form, but worse attacking from than the visitors.
Analysis and graphics courtesy of KickOff.co.uk - check them out!
- If They Don't Gain Ground, Sunderland Must At Least Hold Their Position This Weekend
- Roker Report Preview: Sunderland v Chelsea
- Fan Focus - Graham MacAree Of We Aint Got No History Talks SAFC v Chelsea
- Sam Is Playing Mind Games - But Has Rafa Learned His Lesson?
- The Dafabet Roker Riches: Week #18 - Not A Single Winner