clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Watford 2-2 Sunderland: Black Cats Undone By Kevin Friend Once Again

Sunderland finished the season well with a hard earned draw at Vicarage Road, and were unlucky not to take all three points.

David Rogers/Getty Images

Sunderland ended the season with a draw at Vicarage Road as goals from Prodl and Deeney pegged back goals by Rodwell and Lens for the Black Cats.

Watford had the first chance of the game on 5 minutes after neat build up play between Abdi and Deeney set Abdi free to take a snap shot at goal but his effort flashed wide.

Watford were playing the better football in the opening stages without really testing Pickford until Jurado’s long range shot had to be well held by the Englishman.

Sunderland started to come into the game more and they nearly broke the deadlock with their first half chance on the half hour mark. Watmore was picked out at the back post and his low ball across the face of goal was nearly put into his own net by the sliding Britos but he somehow managed to scoop it over.

The hornets responded after Sunderland’s chance and Pickford was brought into action on 35 minutes as he had to dive low to parry away Ake’s low drive.

The Black Cats took the lead on 40 minutes through Jack Rodwell. Greenwood picked out Lens at the far post who rolled the ball across goal for Rodwell to finish neatly past Gomes.

Sunderland’s lead should have been doubled on 41 minutes when Watmore broke the offside trap to finish well past the on rushing Gomes, but the goal was wrongly ruled out for offside.

Sunderland finished the first half really well and on 43 minutes N’Doye broke clear through the middle but his shot was blocked by the covering defender.

Watford equalised from their first chance in the second half. A corner was whipped in and O’Shea seemed to be nudged in the back by Prodl as he powered home his header.

Parity didn’t last too long for the Hornets as Sunderland got their noses back in front on 50 minutes. A quick counter attack started by Greenwood set Watmore away down the wing, he cut inside to find Lens who slid the ball underneath Gomes.

Sunderland had the ball in the net once again but again it was wrongly ruled out for offside. N’Doye headed home Larsson’s free kick at the back post but the flag was wrongly waved. And straight away seconds later Watford were awarded a dubious penalty after O’Shea won the ball cleanly off Jurado and Deeney stepped up to send Pickford the wrong way.

The Black Cats nearly went in front again on 82 minutes after Watmore skipped past a challenge down the left to bear down on goal from a tight angle but gomes made the save.

Watford: Gomes, Cathcart (Paredes 46’), Britos, Prodl, Ake, Guedioura, Abdi (Saurez 66’), Watson, Jurado (Amrabat 80’), Deeney, Ighalo.

Subs: Pantilimon, Nyom, Paredes, Saurez, Anya, Beghuis, Amrabat.

Goals: Prodl (47’) Deeney (60’)

Sunderland (4-3-3): Pickford, Yedlin (Jones 75’), T Robson, O’Shea, Kone, Rodwell, Larsson (M’Vila 61’), Lens, Greenwood (Honeyman 51’), Watmore, N’Doye.

Subs: Mannone, Jones, Brown, M’Vila, Honeyman, Khazri, Defoe.

Goals: Rodwell (40’) Lens (50’)

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Roker Report Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of Sunderland news from Roker Report