Mobido Diakite could be set to rejoin Fiorentina from Sunderland after his agent confirmed talks.
The Frenchman, who struggled to adapt to the pace of the Premier League last season, spent the second half of the season in Florence and his desire to return there has been pretty clear all summer. It seems he may get his wish, with his agent, Ulisse Savani, confirming:
Everyone knows [Diakite's] wish is to return to Fiorentina, but there are two clubs who have to agree first and that's what we are working on.
We are not currently considering other options because we think Viola's is the best, but for the moment we are also planning on doing well with Sunderland.
With separate talk of a fresh Sunderland bid for Fiorentina's Marcos Alonso, speculation is sure to be rife that some kind of swap deal can be agreed, which would presumably satisfy all parties. It won't be easy to manufacture, though, with Alonso's stock rising considerably as he helped Gus Poyet's men beat the drop and to a cup final.
However, with the World Cup now over and the first pre-season friendly less than a week away, Sunderland will surely be hoping to start making a few breakthroughs in the transfer market over the coming days.
- Sol Campbell, The Match That Never Happened, And The Sunderland Race Storm That Never Arrived
- The Gossip: Loan Duo Set For Return?
- Report: Sunderland Bid To Bring Back Loan Star
- Sunderland Unveil New Gold-Trimmed Home Strip
- Round-up: Striker Latest - Winger Gives Update
- Winger Claims Sunderland Talks; Giacch Happy