Sunderland don't want to sign free agent Bafetimbi Gomis this summer, despite reports claiming the Black Cats are keen to 'hijack' Newcastle's long-standing pursuit of the player.
The striker, who is available this summer having run down his contract at Lyon, has claimed to have been the recipient of several offers and will make his decision on his future when he returns from holiday. One of those offers has not been from Sunderland, though.
Summers and transfer rumours go hand-in-hand, and it's something that as a football fan you just learn to live with. Some are actually almost believable and plenty will, I'm sure, have some basis in truth somewhere.
For this one, however, it isn't tough to see why it emerged and where it came from. I'm sure you don't need us to fill in the blanks for you. Let's just call it a vintage "Papiss Cissé gambit" and leave it at that.
Shame. I was looking forward to being told how we paid for his flight and stuff. Ah well.
- NEWS: 2014/2015 Away Kit Revealed
- Agent Confirms Forward Part Of The Plans At Sunderland
- Football's Millions Can Apparently Buy World Cups, But Not A Little Common Decency
- ANALYSIS: Jack Playing A Risky Game With Toon Switch
- CONFIRMED: Midfielder Completes Rivals Switch
- Agent Piles Pressure On Swans Over Sunderland Williams Bid