Marcos Alonso is likely to make his loan move from Fiorentina a permanent one this summer, according to reports in Italy.
The left back arrived at Sunderland at the start of January and has made a positive impression since in what has been a problem position for years on Wearside. Now, with Premier league safety assured, talks are expected to keep the Spaniard in the north east.
According to the report, Fiorentina would expect a fee of around €4m for the 23-year-old Alonso, but would be happy to half that should Mobido Diakite, who moved on loan in the other direction, be involved.
That would obviously strongly appeal to Sunderland, who have a strict eye on the wage bill these days. A financial outlay of around £1.65m would look a bit of a snip for Alonso.
It would be nice to actually own a decent young left back. Witchcraft, basically.
- Loan Star Not Ruling Out Sunderland Stay
- Wise Men Say Podcast: Episode 37 - We Shall Not Be Moved!
- Survival Should Prompt Reassessment of De Fanti 'Failure'
- Not Funny Then, Sunderland - Funny Now
- Sunderland's Magnificent Seven - The Key Moments Of The Great Escape
- Celebrate Survival At Sunderland Summer Music Festival