As I'm sure most have now seen, Darren Bent has signed for Brighton on loan. Personally, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
It's quite easy to revel in his fall from grace, There can't be many who have gone from being a prolific £24m Premier League striker to a Championship loanee in such a short space of time. He's still only 30 - a relatively young man.
He was also relegated last season whilst on loan at Fulham and struggled to get games from any of their managers, which was quite a feat too. It's funny - in a way.
It's also a bit sad, though. Watching this video, you remember just how good Bent was for Sunderland. He scored loads of goals and all different types of goals too. He fed off the energy from the crowd - who were desperate for a hero - and gave plenty back in return.
It shouldn't have ended they way it did. Bent should still be Sunderland's talisman and enjoying a genuinely special relationship with the supporters. That's the way I see it, anyway. This was his club - the one for him - the one that worked. He blew it, and everyone has suffered for it.
The ironic thing was I remember at the height of his form in the north east, everyone said that Sunderland were too overly reliant on him. It seems that even he believed it. As it has turned out, it seems pretty clear that, actually, Darren Bent was overly reliant on Sunderland.
What a waste.
Anyway, enjoy the video. Bent and Sunderland were, briefly, a match made in heaven.
- Roker Round-up: No Bruma Approach; Nothing To Fear
- Stadium Of Light To Host Under-21 Cup Ties
- Reveillere Has Been A Revelation
- Is The End Nigh For Brown?
- DAILY VIDEO: Great View Of Richardson Bursting Newcastle's Net
- Talking Tactics: Leicester City (A) - Sunderland Getting There
- Roker Round-up: Quinny Backs Cats; Coates Close
- Report: Sunderland 'Sound Out' Midfielder
- VIDEO: Larsson's fine free-kick against Everton
- Head-To-Head: John O'Shea vs John Terry