The very sad news has broken that former Sunderland goalkeeper Iain Hesford has passed away at the age of 54.
SAD NEWS: Former Blackpool goalkeeper Iain Hesford has passed away at the age of 54. Thoughts are with his family at this sad time. #RIP— Blackpool FC (@BlackpoolFC) November 20, 2014
Hesford was the Sunderland 'keeper in the very first Sunderland side I saw - the first Sunderland side I fell in love with. That season and that team was arguably one of the most crucial in the club's entire history. They shrugged off the humiliation of the Lawrie McMenemy era and hauled the club back into the top half of the Football League at the first attempt with the minimum of fuss, and Hesford was a big part of it.
The Zambian-born stopper made 112 (97 in the League) appearances in a Sunderland shirt, and was on the winning side an impressive 55% before joining Hull City as part of the deal that brought Tony Norman to the club.
RIP big lad.
- Club Connection: Sunderland Legend Kevin Phillips
- Poyet: Alvarez Desperate To Make Comeback
- Mavrias Doesn't Fancy Panathinaikos Return
- Roker Round-up: Pantilimon's Tough Start; Phillips Looking Forward
- CONFIRMED: Duo Back In Sunderland Training
- ANALYSIS: Gomez vs. Rodwell - Has Gus Made Right The Call?